The Meaning of Null
I use variations of null as my handle throughout the Internet, as it has a number of meanings which relate to my life. These meanings include:
- [Linear Algebra] The nullspace of a matrix A is the set of all vectors x for which Ax = 0.
- [Programming] The word null appears often in computer programming, from null pointers to null characters and strings, to nullary functions, etc.
- [Hypothesis Testing] The default hypothesis is called the null hypothesis. Hypothesis testing is part of the communications field of electrical engineering.
- In many contexts null means zero, which produces the color black when using the RGB color model (black is my favorite color).
- I am a Star Wars fan who enjoys the Republic Commando book series, which features the Null ARC clone troopers.